Microsoft Excel is a software program from Microsoft that uses spreadsheets to organize data with formulas and functions. It is included in Microsoft Office suite and was developed for Windows, Web, macOS, Android and iOS. Is capable of creating and editing spreadsheets that are saved with a .xls or .xlsx file extension.
What is it used for?
Excel is typically used to organize data and perform financial analysis. It is used across all business functions and at companies from small to large.
It main uses include:
- Data entry
- Data management
- Financial analysis
- Time management
- Task management
- Financial modeling
- Customer relationship management (CRM)
- Graphing or charting data to assist users in identifying data trends
- Formatting data to make important data easy to find and understand
- Printing data and charts for use in reports
- Sorting and filtering data to find specific information
- Linking worksheet data and charts for use in other programs such as Microsoft PowerPoint and Word
- Importing data from database programs for analysis
- Almost anything, that needs to be organized!
There are many alternatives that include Google Sheets, Open Office Calc, LibreOffice Calc, Zoho Sheet and more.
Why use excel insted of its alternatives?
Microsoft Excel is the best spreadsheet software for powerful data crunching and large data sets.
It contains more functions and features than any other spreadsheet software and it is capable of handling larger spreadsheets. If you are dealing with huge data sets, Excel will handle it better than the competition.
In addition to an exhaustive list of functions, Excel pioneered features like conditional formatting and pivot tables. You can record your own macros or use Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to vastly speed up your workflow with one-click scripts.
How to learn Excel?
To learn Microsoft Excel consider this course, which combine four different courses. This is an excellent guide from Beginner to Advanced therefore at completion of this course you will have mastered the most popular Excel tools and come out with confidence to complete any tasks with efficiency and grace. Below are just a few of the topics that you will master:
- Creating effective spreadsheets
- Managing large sets of data
- Mastering the use of some of Excel’s most popular and highly sought after functions (SUM, VLOOKUP, IF, AVERAGE, INDEX/MATCH and many more…)
- Create dynamic report with PivotTables
- Unlock the power and versatility of Microsoft Excel’s AddIn, PowerPivot
- Audit worksheet formulas to ensure clean formulas
- Automate your day-to-day tasks by mastering the power of Macros and VBA
For more information about this course click here.
Excel is an extremely important tool on a daily basis. Because it is the oldest spreadsheet editor, it has a greater number of functions than other editors, it is more robust and can process a larger set of data.